Pediatric Pharmacy Resident Small Research Grant
Established in 2020, the Pediatric Pharmacy Resident/Fellow Research Grant supports research in pediatric medication use conducted by pharmacy residents (e.g., PGY-1, PGY-2 pediatric pharmacy resident) and fellows. The primary purpose of the research award is to improve safe and effective use of medications in childen. Research projects can comprise a wide range of medication-use topics, including but not limited to: technology, safety, and/or pharmacotherapy. A secondary goal of the program is to develop and strengthen the skills of pharmacy residents and fellows by fostering development of mentoring relationships with more experienced senior investigators.
The proposed research must involve health services research in pediatric medication use that is conducted by a pharmacy resident (e.g., PGY-1, PGY-2 pediatric pharmacy resident) or fellow. The principal investigator must be a pharmacy resident or fellow and a licensed pharmacist in the country in which they practice. A mentor/advisor must participate in the research project and will be designated as a co-investigator. Both the principal investigator and the mentor/advisor must be members of PPA. In the application process and grant progress reports, evidence must be included regarding the support and involvement of the mentor/advisor. The proposed study must be approved by an institutional review board (IRB) at the institution at which the research will occur. Evidence of IRB submission must be provided to PPA with the submitted proposal. Grant funds will not be disbursed until evidence of IRB approval has been received. Multidisciplinary research teams are strongly encouraged. The grant recipients agree to present their results at a PPA conference (encore presentation is acceptable) and publish the results of their research in a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Publication in the Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics is encouraged.
Up to two grants (up to $2,000 each) may be awarded yearly. Grants are awarded to pharmacy residents and/or fellows to provide funding for specific pediatric research related to medication use and are not intended for long-term support of research programs.
Funds may be applied to:
- Salary support for consultants such as a biostatistician
- Institutional Review Board fees
- Supplies necessary to complete the proposed study
- Travel necessary to conduct the proposed study
- Patient expenses/reimbursement for participation
- Travel to disseminate research results
Funds may not be applied to:
- Resident/fellow salaries and/or benefits
- Ongoing general operating expenses
- Purchase of permanent equipment or facilities (or other capital costs)
- Endowment contributions
- Pharmacy residents (e.g., PGY-1, PGY-2 pediatric pharmacy resident) or fellows must download and fill out the application. DOWNLOAD MS WORD APPLICATION
- Completed applications can be emailed to: email@example.com on or before the application deadline.
Grants will be awarded based on merits of the proposal as listed below:
- RATIONALE (10 points maximum)
- SIGNIFICANCE (25 points maximum)
- METHODS (25 points maximum)
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT (10 points maximum)
- INVESTIGATORS (10 points maximum)
- PATIENTS AND FACILITIES; FEASIBILITY (10 points maximum)
- BUDGET (5 points maximum)
- APPLICATION PROCEDURES (5 points maximum)
A review committee will consist of members from the PPA Research Committee and the General Pediatrics Special Interest Group. The review committee will receive and review proposals and determine awardees.
Proposals must be received by PPA by December 20th. Grant awardees will be informed in January of each year.