Call for Scientific and Research Abstracts
(Results are required)
Please read these instructions prior to the submission of your abstracts. The submission deadline is February 5, 2021
Poster Presentations are informal discussions of current projects in pharmacy practice with meeting attendees. It is your opportunity to share successful programs that have worked in pediatric healthcare systems, and to pick up ideas from others. This document will assist you in preparing your abstract for submission. Thank you for your interest in presenting at the PPA Annual Meeting.
All practitioners, investigators, post-doctoral trainees, and students in the field of pediatric clinical pharmacy, whether members of PPA or not, are invited to submit abstracts of papers to be considered for platform or poster presentation at the Annual PPA Meeting and Pediatric Pharmacy Conference.
Research abstracts presented at PPA report the results of a scientific investigation or a clinical observation involving some aspect of pharmacotherapy. Scientific investigations can be either clinical, basic, or translational and are either hypothesis-driven or descriptive in nature. To be accepted for presentation, research abstracts must have final results. Abstracts without results will not be accepted in this category. Abstracts submitted under the Residency Project Presentations category cannot be submitted under this category.
Submission Deadline: February 5 at 11:59 PM (Pacific time)- Abstracts must be completed and submitted by this date; no new submissions or edits will be accepted after the deadline. PPA will not edit abstracts. Incomplete abstracts will be deleted from the system after the deadline.
Primary Author: The person entering the information online is the primary author and is responsible for providing the required information to other authors. We define the “Primary Author” as the leading author and the primary presenter. The submitting author’s name will automatically appear first on the citation and the abstract, and their contact information will be printed on the published version of the abstract. Duplicate abstracts on the same topic from one author or institution will not be accepted. Your poster presentation at the PPA Annual Meeting may not differ from the original accepted title and abstract content in your submission. It is understood that an author of the abstract will be at the meeting to present the poster.
Additional Authors: Each submission may have up to six (6) authors – the Primary Author and 5 additional authors. The primary author is responsible to ensure that all authors are included and in the order they will appear on the abstract and citation. PPA will not add “forgotten” authors or make changes to the order of the authors.
Meeting Registration and Cancellations
Presenting a poster at our meeting is a voluntary effort and PPA cannot pay expenses for your participation. If your submission is accepted, you are responsible for your own meeting registration fee and travel. Your meeting registration will confirm your participation in the Poster Session. All presenters must be registered for the meeting.
Written notification is required for all submission withdrawals, and must be submitted by the primary author. Please send your withdrawal request by to: firstname.lastname@example.org and include your full name, abstract number, and presentation title in the request. If you withdraw after receiving your acceptance notice, your presentation abstract will not appear in print, on the PPA website or other media.
Prior Publication or Presentation
Previously presented or published abstracts (encore presentations) may be submitted for presentation at the PPA Annual Meeting, but they will NOT be published in the Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics (JPPT). Encore presentations will not be considered for an Award.
PPA does not retain the exclusive rights of publication to poster abstracts submitted for our meeting.
- All research abstracts should be no longer than 450 words.
- Research abstracts will be published in the Journal of Pediatric Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Platform Presentations will be chosen from the abstracts submitted.
- All Research and Scientific Abstracts are required to have results and a conclusion to be considered for acceptance. Note: residents and students can submit abstracts in this category, but results ARE required.
Notifications and Contact Information Email Notifications
All correspondences including confirmations, reminders, and accept/reject notifications will be sent to the primary author’s email only. It is the primary author’s responsibility to notify the co-authors of the status of the submission, and highly recommended that this email be a working address that is not spam protected.
Abstract Submission Details
When submitting your abstract, please use the following section headings in the body of your abstract:
- Title must accurately and concisely reflect the abstract content.
- Submission with titles that are NOT in the correct format will not be accepted.
- Only enter the title of the abstract in the title field. DO NOT put it in the abstract content field.
- Do NOT use brand names of medications in the title.
- Capitalize only the first letter of the first word in the title, all other words must be in lowercase letters; except in the case of acronyms or proper nouns.
- Do not use “An,” A,” or “The” as the first word in the title.
- Spell out all pharmaceutical acronyms.
- Special symbols (Mathematical signs – equals, plus, minus, percentage, greater than, less than etc.) must be spelled out.
Body of Abstract
- Do NOT include the title or authors in the body of the abstract.
- Your abstract will be reviewed and evaluated based on the content provided according to these guidelines.
- Word limits – the entire abstract should be no longer than 450 words.
- Proofread content carefully, particularly doses, drug names and numerical values.
- Use standard abbreviations. Do not include graphs, tables or illustration in your abstract.
- Do not use special functions such as tabs, underlines, trademarks, superscript, subscript, bold or italics. Special symbols such as Greek letters, degrees, plus signs, minus signs or greater than or less than signs must be spelled out.
- Again, do not include the title or authors in the body of the abstract.
Criteria For Review
Abstracts will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- The abstract is significant to pediatric pharmacy practice including applicability to other institutions or patients.
- The objective(s) of the research are clearly stated.
- The methods/procedures are appropriate and clearly described.
- The results are clearly and concisely presented with appropriate statistical analysis.
- The conclusions draw logically from the methods and results.
All submissions will be eligible for the Young Investigator or Best Original Paper awards. The finalists will be judged by a panel of judges during the poster and platform presentation sessions. Primary authors may be considered for all awards for which they are eligible, but may win only one award.
Outstanding Original Paper:
Outstanding Original Paper Investigators will be evaluated on the basis of their written abstract and the quality of their presentation at the Meeting. The winner will receive complimentary registration to next year's Annual Meeting and a framed certificate.
Christensen Memorial Young Investigator Award:
PPA Young Investigator Award is available to investigators who have been in practice five (5) years or less. This award will be granted to the investigator based on their written abstract and the quality of their presentation at the Meeting.
Submit Your Abstract
To submit your abstract, direct your browser to: https://ppagannual.secure-platform.com/a/solicitations/32/home